163: Dr. Jeff McNairy – How Plant Medicine Works In Your Brain
“Gerry wanted to have a place that was safe and had clinical people and shamans all together in one place, so that people that would never go to Peru or the jungle would actually come here.”
Since he started working in the healthcare field, Dr. Jeff McNairy has always felt like the standard Western treatments for trauma and depression weren’t the right answer. While they did work, it always seemed like they took too long, sometimes leaving the patient leaving his treatment without any direction or answers to their ailments. This was all until he started treating Gerry Powell, and his journey took a completely different turn.
Welcome to this week’s episode of NION Radio, continuing our dive into plant medicine, and what I have learned at the Rythmia Spiritual Treatment center. Dr. Jeff McNairy is Chief Medical Officer at Rythmia, working with patients who have addictions and trauma, as well as those who suffer from acute psychiatric conditions. Since he started his work with ayahuasca, Jeff has seen himself and others transformed by it, and has endeavored to create a safe and certified space for people to learn from the plant medicine.
In this episode, we’re getting into the science behind ayahuasca, and what happens in your brain during and after your experience with it. Listen in to learn how Dr. Jeff McNairy started working with Gerry Powell and ayahuasca, and the science behind plant medicines and why they work.
You can Subscribe and Listen to the Podcast on Apple Podcasts. And please leave me a Rating and Review!
“The shadow self is basically just the ego that has been created throughout our whole life to show the world what we want the world to see.”
Some things we learn in this podcast:
- How Jeff moved from working at a rehab center to working with Gerry at Rythmia [4:15]
- How people with medications have to prepare for taking ayahuasca [12:35]
- What is happening in your brain when you take plant medicine [15:44]
- How Jeff helps people who are extremely depressed move towards working with plant medicine [21:22]
- What our shadow sides look like from a neuroscience perspective [22:33]
- The transformations that Jeff has seen at Rythmia [26:38]
- How breath work affects us in a similar way to ayahuasca [33:39]
- The difference of experiences between psilocybin and ayahuasca [38:14]
- Jeff’s experiences taking care of his own traumas through ayahuasca [40:08]
- What the higher self looks like in the brain [43:59]
- Why some people go back to their old triggers and lifestyles after taking ayahuasca [46:50]
- How exercise helps people keep a healthy emotional and mental state [51:51]
- NION Radio 161: Experimenting with Plant Medicine
- NION Radio 162: Gerry Powell – How Plant Medicine Can Change Your Life