How to Overcome Struggle to Achieve Your Dreams
Today I get to bring you my good friend, Rachael Markarian. She has a very powerful story, as she was born with her legs turned inward, barely able to walk, and now is a powerful, professional dancer for many big artists like Rihanna, Katy Perry, and Beyonce (just to name a few). Even this year, she danced with Beyonce at the Superbowl (which you’ll hear about). I’ve seen her dance, and she is incredible. On top of the amazing things she’s accomplished in her life, she’s a wonderful human being and a very inspiring individual.
On this episode, you’ll find what it takes to become a dancer and hear what is behind the scenes to the commitment, dedication, and discipline, as well as how having a strong vision for what you want will help you do whatever it takes to get there. We’ll also hear the story of how she moved to LA, went broke, and how she got her first break to go on tour with Rihanna. We get to learn about the sacrifice it takes to make it with art and doing what you love.
She talks about how running your career as a business, which a lot of dancers, actors, models etc don’t do, is so important. The things you need to invest into that will help you grow as an artist. How to market yourself as an artist and create and maintain the proper industry relationships that help you succeed.
Rachael is a powerhouse, and her dancing inspires everyone who she shares that with. So lets get into it!
Things we learn in this episode:
- A brief back ground on how Rachael moved to Los Angeles to become a professional Dancer for Rihanna, Katy Perry, Beyonce, Pink, Justin Timberlake, Cheyenne (big latin Artists)
- What it’s like dancing with Beyonce at the Super Bowl
- The experience of touring with Rihana and Katy Perry
- Understanding the effect that a top level dancer has on the audience
- Lessons learned from years of travel as a professional dancer
- What it was like working with Justin Timberlake on Southland Tales (2006)
- Becoming a dancer despite being born with physical restrictions
- The struggles of developing as a 15 year old living alone in New York
- Bringing commitment, dedication and discipline into creative work
- Overcoming rejection with the life skills developed from rigorous training
- The difference between a plan and a vision
- How to not take things personally when achieving your dreams
- How the business side of professional dancing works
- The mindset for excelling at auditions
- Strategies for signing with great agents
- The importance of networking and connecting with people
- How to pay it forward in the professional dancer career space
- Understanding rejection as a path towards success
- The sacrifices required to invest in where you want to be