173: Jason Naylor – Creating A Brand Around Your Art
“To exhibit that you recognize that you are not alone in your creating of art, that keeps you humble and that’s a quality that I love and admire.”
Today on NION Radio, we have Jason Naylor, an award-winning artist, designer, and creative director who has been working in NYC for 15 years. After earning a BFA in graphic design from Brigham Young University, Jason moved to NYC to immerse himself into the life, color, and magic of New York. Jason began his professional career working in the Creative Department of MAC Cosmetics, where he learned about the business of art and design and developed his taste for spreading life and color into any and every project he could get his hands on. Six years later, Jason set out to start spreading his own message into the world.
Ever since I discovered his work on a mural during one of my shoots, I have been a big fan of Jason, his work, and the positive messaging he is sending to the world. Jason’s tagline is “CREATIVELY POSITIVE x POSITIVELY CREATIVE” and his work expresses this vividly. With such a developed and specific aesthetic and message, I wanted to bring Jason in to talk about building a brand around your art, and we got to talk about that as well as a lot of his artistic growth and inspiration, and I can’t wait to share this episode with you.
Listen in to learn how Jason has created his brand, developed his craft and style, and what his unique upbringing gave him to share with the world.
You can Subscribe and Listen to the Podcast on Apple Podcasts. And please leave me a Rating and Review!
The actual painting is fast, what takes time is creative decisions.
Some things we learn in this podcast:
- How Jason’s religious upbringing and his art have intertwined [4:53]
- Why Jason always keeps his community in mind in creating his art [7:47]
- Jason’s transition from corporate work to becoming a freelancer [10:52]
- How he found spaces to create his art and the key to his success [15:03]
- Jason’s creative process [19:15]
- What Jason sees in the public topics of vulnerability and authenticity [23:38]
- What coming into the graffiti world ‘through the back door’ has taught Jason [28:58]
- Jason’s favorite artists and how he develops his craft [32:02]
- How Jason developed his brand and strong aesthetic style [43:54]
- The ups and downs of life and what Jason has done to work through his difficult parts of life [50:49]