59: How to Create a Career in Art Part 11/15 – 5 Tips on Embracing the Creative Journey
Every time you do something new and you practice, you’re learning.
Creating a high profile career in fashion and lifestyle photography is gratifying, but what it took from me to get there is the real gift.
During the last ten years of creating this career, I’ve learned a few things that might be useful to the up-and-comers. In this collection of episodes I break down the process that I used to make a living with my art. These tips go beyond my world of photography and transcend into any creative venture.
The lessons can be useful if you’re into illustration, fashion design, fashion blogging, music, performing arts, writing or any other creative hustle. Think of it like the DNA of a creative professional. Think of it like the building blocks of inspiration.
This is the eleventh installment of my 15 part series on how to make a career in art.
It’s a daily decision, every minute, to create.
Some things we learn in this podcast:
- Why you have to embrace your creative journey [2:00]
- Why your journey should take time [2:30]
- First, you have to be patient with your journey [3:50]
- You have to know where you’re going, but be ok with where you are [4:10]
- Second, you always have to be pushing yourself [5:00]
- Why you need to push yourself personally as well as creatively [5:45]
- Third, you have to push yourself through your plateaus in growth [6:15]
- The importance of consistent practice [6:40]
- Tip number four is that you can’t compare yourself to others [9:05]
- Everyone’s journey is different, and you have to create from your own experience [9:50]
- Fifth and last, is that you have to keep going [10:10]