150: Shawn Stevenson – Elevate Your Creativity While You Sleep
“The human mind is the most powerful pharmacy on the planet.”
We’ve all heard it before, that sleep is the most important thing you can do for your overall health. But did you know how much it can affect your health? From increasing creativity and energy, to helping weight loss and build muscles, to healing our bodies, sleep is the “wonder drug” the world has been searching for. And for today’s guest, it really did heal his body in ways that physicians couldn’t explain.
Our guest today is Shawn Stevenson, bestselling author and host of “The Model Health Show” podcast. With over 11 years of working with clients as one of the top nutrition experts in the country, Shawn has seen people reverse chronic illnesses, achieve stunning levels of fitness, and lose thousands of pounds collectively.
Listen in to hear Shawn’s story, from his career ending injury to his full recovery, and the power of sleep in our health, mindset, and career.
You can Subscribe and Listen to the Podcast on Apple Podcasts. And please leave me a Rating and Review!
“After just 24 hours of sleep debt, there is about a 14% reduction in glucose getting to your brain. So basically your brain starts to starve and you become dumber.”
Some things we learn in this podcast:
- How Shawn’s career went from professional athlete to where he is today [4:03]
- The power of the human mind when it comes to healing or hurting itself [7:11]
- When Shawn decided he would heal and how he did it [11:36]
- All the amazing things sleep does for the human body [16:19]
- Why sleep can be an even bigger catalyst for weight loss and body composition than diet and exercise combined [22:33]
- Why meditation and sleep both help us recover, and how they help in different ways [27:38]
- How our ability to be mindful of our breathing could be an evolutionary adaptation [30:48]
- The consensus on sleep debt and if you can actually make up lost sleep [33:19]
- The difference between quantity and quality of sleep and how it affects us [36:06]
- What the data shows on the blue light spectrum from screens and its effect on our sleep [38:41]
- How sleep and physical exercise affect our creativity [40:54]
- Shawn’s top three ways to sleep smarter [46:40]
- How our core temperature and our sleep are connected [55:10]
- Check out Shawn’s book: “Sleep Smarter: 21 Essential Strategies to Sleep Your Way to a Better Body, Better Health, and Bigger Success”
- Find out more about Shawn’s podcast, The Model Health Show
- Learn more about the ChiliPad Cube 2.0 Cooling and Heating Mattress Pad
- Join the community at nionlife.com
- Take the creative quiz here
- Join in on IG TV at @nionlife and on Facebook Live at facebook.com/nionlife