Secrets To Building And Maintaining Lifeline Relationships
“Even people with huge networks, they’re not thinking about what they can do for other people most of the time, and that’s the mistake.” – Jordan Harbinger
At the beginning of 2018, Jordan Harbinger was running his successful company and podcast, The Art of Charm. By February, he and the Art of Charm had a falling out, and he found himself back at square one, looking to start down a new path. Within months, Jordan’s new podcast, The Jordan Harbinger Show, has millions of monthly downloads and hosts a number of interviews with top influencers and authors throughout the industry. How was Jordan able to bounce back so quickly from such a difficult situation? Jordan Harbinger had been planning for this exact moment for years by taking care of his network and seeking out ways he could provide value to his friends and colleagues. And when he fell onto hard times, they were there to support him. He had his “layoff lifelines” waiting in the wings, ready to go when he needed them.
Today on NION Radio, Jordan Harbinger talks about what he’s learned since he started his new podcast, how he bounced back, and the key elements of keeping and maintaining your network. We go over filtering out recommendations when you introduce or recommend people, how to introduce people with the double opt-in connection, and how to say no nicely. This might feel like something you can do later when you’re looking for work, but the fact is, by then it’s too late. You can’t dig the well when you’re already thirsty.
Listen in to learn how you can maintain your network for the future, and what is important to prepare for when you go through a career change of your own.
”Reach out to the people that you know are going to say yes because you don’t want to end up at the end of your rope [feeling like you’re] out of luck everywhere.” – Jordan Harbinger
Some things we learn in this podcast:
- What happened to Jordan in the last three months that changed his entire career [3:20]
- When is the best time to pivot and change where you are [5:00]
- Jordan’s “layoff lifelines” drill for before you look for new work [6:05]
- Why you should always operate under the assumption that you have something to offer [11:45]
- How to ensure your network remains strong and you don’t hurt your or others reputation [14:55]
- How to stay amicable when unwarranted introductions come your way [20:45]
- The other ways you can provide value if you don’t have any new introductions in your network [23:30]
- What Jordan’s process was when he had to start over finding his new job [28:50]
- Why digging the well before you’re thirsty will pay off for you, even if you think it won’t [32:50]
- What Jordan learned from his last show that has made his current show better [34:05]
- Why you need to make your windshield bigger than your rear-view mirror [36:55]
- Jordan’s all-time top three books [44:40]
- Check out Jordan’s first interview here on nionlife.com
- Join the community at nionlife.com
- Take the creative quiz here
- Get a copy of Jordan’s top three books: