143: 21 Tools to Get Through a Creative Funk
Taking on a proper perspective can temper us for great success and creating a full life.
We all go through funks in our creative journey. In fact, I’m going through one right now. It’s really challenging when your creative outlet is also your product and your living – it adds a whole other level of complication and can make your funk even worse because it can mean that not only is your creativity not at it’s best, but neither is your money making.
When I get in a funk I find myself questioning everything: Am I good enough? Am I on the right path? Am I an impostor? When is the next job coming? My inner critic is raging, and it’s a constant battle not to take any rejection personally.
We can’t choose our circumstances, but we can choose how we deal with them. So today I’m sharing some of my tips to help you get through a funk in your creative career.
Even if it doesn’t make you money, just create things that make you happy.
Some things we learn in this podcast:
- You have to keep it in perspective [4:35]
- Why you have to be aware of your emotions and what you can change [5:25]
- You are not your thoughts [6:00]
- Practice presence [6:45]
- Try calming your inner critic [7:45]
- Meditation can help you de-stress [9:30]
- Keep moving your body [10:50]
- Eat healthy [12:00]
- Do one thing every day [12:35]
- Create every day (even if it sucks) [13:20]
- Get a coach [14:05]
- Dive inward [14:50]
- Practice gratitude [15:40]
- Look for the things that bring you joy [16:30]
- Write a list of what makes you happy [17:15]
- Why you should try energetic healing [18:00]
- Be of service [18:25]
- Surround yourself with positive people [18:40]
- Create art that makes you happy [19:20]
- Get out of your normal environment[19:40]
- Explore to find your purpose [20:05]
- Read the books mentioned in this episode:
- Listen to the podcast episodes mentioned in this episode:
- Check out Emily Fletcher’s de-stressing course
- Listen to The Tim Ferriss Show