How To Connect People With Art
My work is in this what’s called connectivism, it’s all about this intersection of art and networking.
Today I want to introduce you to Gareb Shamus. Gareb is currently an artist but is also the creator of Wizard World Comic Con. He has since stepped away from the publishing and event business to focus on his art. But he carried his amazing business sense from his previous career over into his art career, which has really helped his art business grow.
He’s an amazing guy and I think you’ll really enjoy our conversation about how your business works with your art, the importance of building relationships and networking, and lots of tips about the creative process.
Being from the outside is the only way to change the inside.
Some things we learn in this podcast:
- How he fell in love with comics [3:30]
- What the first Comic Con was like [4:40]
- How the magazine expanded [8:20]
- The importance of creating a unique personal brand [13:50]
- How he predicted that events would become popular [21:40]
- The challenges of running an event like Comic Con [24:55]
- Why he likes startups [28:10]
- Why Gareb started painting [29:30]
- The value of trial and error [35:40]
- Why he likes learning about his art through other people’s interpretations [40:50]
- How to apply business to the art world [43:05]
- The importance of creating a community [44:40]
- Why you have to follow your own instinct [46:50]
- How to talk about your work [52:40]
- Why you have to take control [56:20]
- What inspiration and freedom look like to Gareb [59:30]
- Check out our tour of Gareb’s studio
- Learn more about Art Basel
- Music Credit: Petrichor by duumu, Infrared, and Stereo Cube