How to Use Media to Make an Impact
It’s not just about someone telling us to go do something, they need to be part of it, they need to own it.
I believe that art can change the world, and it is empowering and inspiring to meet people who feel the same way. That’s why I’m excited to have Sergio Fernández de Córdova on the show today. Sergio and I met at Summit Series this past year, where we had some awesome conversations about changing the world and making an impact through art and media.
Sergio is the founder of Pvblic Foundation, an organization that focuses on creating change through media. He works in pretty much every media outlet that you can think of, using all these different mediums to do good and create positive change in the world. The foundation has had some huge projects, including the It’s On Us Campaign, where they worked with the White House to create a campaign to raise awareness about and stop sexual assault.
Listen in to today’s episode to hear Sergio talk more about founding Pvblic, his work with the White House, and the Media for Social Impact Summit. You’ll be inspired by Sergio’s belief in media and its ability to change the world. Sergio is an amazing human with a brilliant mind who is really making waves in this world right now and having a major impact, and I think you’ll be inspired by our conversation.
There’s no amount of money that can buy the feeling of knowing that you’ve helped somebody.
Some things we learn in this podcast:
- What is Public Foundation [3:05]
- How he worked with the White House [4:20]
- The mission and vision of Public [10:00]
- What is the Social Impact Summit [11:05]
- When he decided to move to American from Peru [14:45]
- How he redefined billboards [17:30]
- Where his desire to create an impact came from [21:40]
- The power of media [26:25]
- Our generation’s power [29:45]
- How he prepared for his Ted Talk [34:05]
- What it took to create his foundation [42:30]
- How his other company connects the private sector to the public sector [44:00]
- Why he wouldn’t change anything about his youth [54:25]
- Check out It’s On Us
- Learn more about Sing for Hope by Monica Yunus
- Check out the Media for Social Impact Summit
- Watch Sergio’s Ted Talk
- Music Credit: Lament by Tekvision