65: How to Create a Career in Art Part 14/15 – 4 Things I Learned From Mentoring Others
I feel grateful for those that have helped me out along the way, and I want to pass that on.
Creating a high profile career in fashion and lifestyle photography is gratifying, but what it took from me to get there is the real gift.
During the last ten years of creating this career, I’ve learned a few things that might be useful to the up-and-comers. In this collection of episodes, I break down the process that I used to make a living with my art. These tips go beyond my world of photography and transcend into any creative venture.
The lessons can be useful if you’re into illustration, fashion design, fashion blogging, music, performing arts, writing or any other creative hustle. Think of it like the DNA of a creative professional. Think of it like the building blocks of inspiration.
This is the fourteenth installment of my 15 part series on how to make a career in art.
I believe giving without the intention of getting anything back, you actually end up getting things back ten fold.
Some things we learn in this podcast:
- The importance of giving back [1:20]
- How you can mentor in many different ways [1:50]
- How mentoring led to the creation of ShopTalk [2:05]
- The importance of work/life balance [2:45]
- Why you have to continue to take care of yourself [3:00]
- How mentoring others helps you learn [3:40]
- How you can learn from others that you’re mentoring [4:00]
- The giving energy of mentoring [4:20]
- How mentoring can leave your legacy [5:00]
- How mentoring creates and fosters community [5:20]