Part 9/15 How to Create a Career in Art - 3 Tips on Creating Your Center Circle
Fill your time with people and things that inspire you.
Creating a high profile career in fashion and lifestyle photography is gratifying, but what it took from me to get there is the real gift.
During the last ten years of creating this career, I’ve learned a few things that might be useful to the up-and-comers. In this collection of episodes I break down the process that I used to make a living with my art. These tips go beyond my world of photography and transcend into any creative venture.
The lessons can be useful if you’re into illustration, fashion design, fashion blogging, music, performing arts, writing or any other creative hustle. Think of it like the DNA of a creative professional. Think of it like the building blocks of inspiration.
This is the ninth installment of my 15 part series on how to make a career in art.
People that are doing cool shit like to hang out with other people that are doing cool shit.
Some things we learn in this podcast:
- You are the average of the 5 people you hang out with the most [0:35]
- Our friends shape the way we see the world [1:15]
- Spending time with people can mean different things in this day and age [1:35]
- Get rid of negative and toxic people in your life [2:00]
- Spend your time on personal growth, and with people that will encourage that [2:45]
- The importance of setting boundaries with negative people [3:10]
- Think about where you want to be and who you want to become [3:30]
- You have to be strategic about what you want to create [4:05]
- It’s important to be aware of who you are being and what you are offering [4:25]
- People get inspired by people that activate their dreams [5:15]
- It’s good to connect with people outside of business and the craft you’re working on [6:35]
- You want to create a circle of people who are going to help you grow to be your optimum self [7:00]