41: How to Create a Career in Art Part 2/15 - See The Destination
Create a business around the kind of content you want to create.
Part 2/15 How to Create a Career in Art: See The Destination
Creating a high profile career in fashion and lifestyle photography is gratifying, but what it took from me to get there is the real gift.
During the last ten years of creating this career, I’ve learned a few things that might be useful to the up-and-comers. In this collection of episodes I break down the process that I used to make a living with my art. These tips go beyond my world of photography and transcend into any creative venture.
The lessons can be useful if you’re into illustration, fashion design, fashion blogging, music, performing arts, writing or any other creative hustle. Think of it like the DNA of a creative professional. Think of it like the building blocks of inspiration.
This is the second installment of my 15 part series on how to make a career in art.
Seeing the destination is only the beginning of the journey – it’s important to enjoy to the journey along the way.
Some things we learn in this podcast:
- The importance of looking ahead in your career development [0:43]
- Look at people in the field you want to go into [1:00]
- Use your resources to find people you admire [1:30]
- The benefit of offering value to people [1:50]
- Looking at the kind of content you want to create [3:10]
- Visualizing the lifestyle that you want around that career [4:15]
- Then it’s time to create and make it a reality [5:15]
- The destination is sometimes only the beginning of the journey [5:30]
- Having the foresight and the vision to get where you want to be [6:30]
- Take clues from behind the scenes content [6:50]
- Jim Garner
- Mario Testino
- Peggy Sirota
- Ben Watts
- Steal like an Artist by Austin Kleon
- Music: Breathe by Enschway