How To Build A Career as a Jewelry Designer
“If you do something, you’re passionate about it and you give all your energy to make it, it’s going to happen.”
Today we’re in the design studio of one of my really good friends who is a super talented Jewelry designer, Maor Cohen. His line is called M Cohen designs; he’s got a couple stores in LA, and is now in demand all over the world. Funny thing for me is that I never really even thought about wearing jewelry until I met Maor a few years back. He gave a sick bracelet to a mutual friend of ours for his birthday, and immediately when I saw it I said, “I’ve got to get me one of those.” Shortly there after, I’ve seen him go from making the pieces himself in his living room, to having a beautiful store on third street in West Hollywood.
He’s made some amazing pieces for people like Johnny Depp, Orlando Bloom, and many other big celebrities. More importantly, he’s got an inspiring story of moving from a small town in Israel to LA, barely speaking english, to creating a big business in fashion with a cult following. He’s now doing collaborations with people like John Varvatos and leading the industry in mens jewelry. Not to mention, his accent is awesome!
I love the charm and charisma that Maor brings to the table, as its genuinely helped him to connect with people and build his creative business. He is a walking brand.
“Be aware that it’s not going to be an easy ride, but never give up.”
Some things we learn in this podcast:
- On designing jewelry for stars like Johnny Depp, Justin Timberlake, Usher and more
- How he grew up in a small village in Northern Israel
- Stories and tips for overcoming ADD while growing up
- How to get started in the Jewelry game: reconstructing Mom’s necklaces
- The path from Israel, to South America and finally to the California surf culture
- How he sold his first collection to Kitson
- How to develop from a street artist to a well respected creative entrepreneur
- The source of Maor’s intense passion for creativity
- The traveler ethos behind the jewelry and stacking experiences
- How Maor met and helped Natalia Benson get back into the jewelry design game
- The value of travel for Maor’s life and his vision